TAG LIFE UPDATES
PTSA Coffee + General Meeting 2.9.2018
- Main Business: Please help form the Nominating Committee to usher in new leadership for the board and committees. The new board is elected at our May meeting
- Date: Friday, February 9, 2018
- Time: 8:00 to 9:30 AM (come and go as you please!)
- Where: Townview Library
- Where Do I Enter the School: Parents may park in any of the ‘Visitor’ spaces out front and are more than welcome to come in through the front door of the school where there will be no lines! You may also enter in the student entrances.
Come join us on Friday February 9th for the PTSA Coffee & General Meeting. The PTSA holds monthly coffees and general meetings at Townview in the Library where parents can mingle with one another, enjoy some coffee and snacks, and talk with Mr. Mackey. The February 9th meeting will have an update of what’s happening at TAG by Mr Mackey and we will be voting by ballot for our Nominating Committee. The nominating committee meets once or twice during the spring to find new leadership for the board and committees. The new board is elected at our May meeting. Please let Brooke Wise know if you are interested in serving on the nominating committee by contacting her at email@example.com. After the PTSA business is completed there will be time to meet and mingle. We hope to see you there!
FREE SAT Math Prep month of February
The University of Texas Arlington invites your student to take their FREE SAT MATH PREP Course every Saturday during the month of February http://www.uta.edu/universitycrossroads/sat/index.php
The University Crossroads’ SAT Math Prep incorporates Dr. Laura Resnick’s “Principles of Learning”, University of Pittsburg’s Institute for Learning (IFL), in addition with the Socratic Method for critical thinking, which is teaching by asking instead of by telling. With our 3.5 hour sessions, we promote the following methodology:
- Replace aptitude with hard work as a measure of success (effort-based learning)
- Set goals and evaluate progress
- Acknowledge accomplishments
- Engage in thinking and problem-solving skills, especially around major concepts
- Question student-to-student, probe, use evidence and knowledge to develop ideas *
- Present, model and discuss authentic learning
- Keep the discussion focused and intellectually responsible
- Stimulate the discussion with probing questions
- Draw as many students as possible into the discussion
- Summarize what has and what has not been dealt with and/or resolved
Meeting for Parents of TAG Junior Students multiple dates
Please join Ms. Marberry to kick off your student’s college application journey! This meeting is mandatory unless you’ve had a student graduate from TAG in the past three years.
Junior parents will choose only one of the following dates:
• Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 6 pm to 8 pm
• Wednesday, February 7 (Spanish translator provided), 6 pm to 8 pm
• Thursday, February 15, 6 pm to 8 pm
- Who: Only one adult from each family needs to attend. This is a meeting for parents only – no students. (This is a correction from the letter that was sent home.)
- What: Ms. Marberry will talk about the application and financial aid process. She will give out lots of helpful information and answer your questions.
- Where: TAG, room number to be announced
- RSVP: Please fill out the Google Form https://tinyurl.com/tagjrparent to RSVP for the session you choose to attend.
We try to split up the sessions as evenly as possible so everyone can have their questions addressed, so please commit to one date and attend on that date.
If you do not plan to attend (because you had a child graduate from TAG in the past three years), you may have your student pick up the file of helpful info from Ms. Marberry any time after January 30. If you are unsure about whether or not you should attend, please email Ms. Marberry.
Unfortunately, because she is meeting individually with the students, Ms. Marberry doesn’t have time to meet with all parents one at a time.
Your student will receive additional information during one-on-one meetings with Ms. Marberry in January and during “College Boot Camp” sessions with Dr. Jensen and Ms. Greer in AP Statistics class. If you have questions, please email Ms. Marberry at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Jensen at email@example.com
Talent Show – Griffins’ Got Talent 3.8.18
- When: March 8th (time to be determined)
- How to Participate: Stop by during lunch or after school on February 5th or 9th to let us know what you would like to do in the show-the meeting location will be posted in the locker area.
- Help Requested: We also need stage helpers and help with ticket sales
- RSVP: Contact Vallerie Dontes with questions firstname.lastname@example.org 708-606-0064
Resources for DACA Students & Families
Dallas ISD has launched a new webpage with resources for students and families who are impacted by recent developments regarding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The Dallas ISD school board voted unanimously to declare Dallas ISD a welcoming and protective district vowing to do everything it can to provide a welcoming and protective environment in all schools for all students. Please feel free to visit the website, www.dallasisd.org/DACA, for access to these resources and feel free to share the link with anyone you may know who could benefit from it.
TAG currently has a presence on social media platforms: GroupMe (Phone Texting), Facebook, Instagram, email and website. These pages are updated by the TAG Volunteer Digital Team, and are the only official pages administered by these Volunteers, representing PTSA and TAG administration. The information is as best represented as accurately and timely as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
Social Media Manager
|Grade Specific Facebook Page|
|9th grade Facebook||https://www.facebook.com/groups/126789434636331|
|10th grade Facebook||https://www.facebook.com/groups/149841484712466|
|11th grade Facebook||https://www.facebook.com/groups/1635681053158883|
|12th grade Facebook||https://www.facebook.com/groups/1639777079398652|
Below is a list of scheduled activities for Townview Seniors
|Monday, April 23, 2018,||11:10am (subject to change)||Townview Panoramic Portrait||Prices TBA|
|Sunday, May 6, 2018||4:00pm (graduates arrive at 3:00pm)||Townview Baccalaureate||Concord Church||free|
|Friday, May 18, 2018||8:00pm-12:00am||Townview Prom||Hilton Anatole Hotel||$90 (online payment will be available; deadline is January 31, 2018)|
|Wednesday, May 23, 2018||10:00am-TBA||Townview Picnic||Southern Cross Ranch||$55 (online payment will be available; deadline is January 31, 2018)|
|Friday, May 25 (Tentative)||7:00pm (Rehearsal at 9:30am on May 25)||TAG Graduation||Gooch Auditorium at UTSW||free|
President’s Volunteer Service Award
The 2018 Summer Internship, Community Service, and Volunteer Award Night was informative, entertaining, and inspiring to all who attended! Special thanks to this year’s student speakers and the volunteer award winners:
Drum Roll Please… We’re excited to present…an expanded TAG presence on email, Facebook, Website, and Instagram. Easy connection to our TAG family! With so much happening at TAG, these social media tools help keep your finger on the pulse of TAG Life.
|Ramon Lopez (Sr)||UT Southwestern STARS Summer Research Intern|
|Sophie Hooper (Jr)||Hope’s Door Intern|
|Alisa Lin (JR)||Baylor Scott & White Supply Chain Intern (Jr)|
|Wolfgang Brightenburg (Jr)||KC Sharks Swim Coach|
|Trina Choi (Jr)||University of Texas at Dallas Summer Intern|
|Minakshi Swaminathan (Sr)||Houlihan Lokey Summer Intern (last 2 years)|
President’s Volunteer Service Awards:
TAG Mock Trial Team Advances!
Congratulations to the TAG Mock Trial team who defeated ESSM on Thursday, January 25 to advance to the final four of the district competition! The finals will be held at Crowley Courthouse on February 3rd. Good luck in the next round!
Next eBlast Newsletter
The next newsletter will go out on 2/14/18, please send anything that you wish to be published in the newsletter by 2/9/18, to Elisa Roby at email@example.com.